Saturday, February 10, 2007

Thoughts whilst stabbing myself for taking a job that will consist of 16 hours on a set on a Sunday

So, I figured I should perhaps start posting actual stuff about all this shiiiiiit even though nobody's reading this blog (yet!). Been dealing with the whole Peace Corps invitation for a couple of weeks now; I accepted it either a week ago or two weeks ago today (time accelerates when you're dealing with such a paradigm shift in regards to your life plans.....plus I haven't been working every day, and you lose track of what you were doing on your couch on which day after a while). Surprisingly, I've gotten a lot of hits as I've reached out to people on Georgia. A friend of mine from high school's college roommate spent a year there with Rotary, a friend of mine from work has a friend serving in the Peace Corps in the adjacent country (Azerbaijan),
a friend of mine from UCLA knows some Georgians through his family's church, and my dad works with a hospital technician who actually grew up there. So I have a lot of resources if I have any questions about different facets of the experience; the only problem is that it's going to be such a big change that I don't even know what specific questions I should be asking. At this point I'm just trying to be open to everything. Although I'm not going to be super open to squat toilets. So I hope Georgia is western enough to have a seat and do its business the civilized way.

From everything I hear, Georgia is an awesome place. Everyone harps on the hospitality of the people there and on their penchant for wine, food, and feasts, so I'm looking forward to that. But in terms of what it's like to actually live there, I feel like that would be difficult for anyone to describe in such a way that I would really have any better idea than I have from research materials. But I'm taking the glowing things people are saying about the place and hounding my friends, because I want everyone to move to Georgia with me. The people there need our HELP, friends! Many of them live in poverty, but they're trying to resuscitate their economy and integrate themselves into Europe's economy! Help ME help THEM. And we'll have some wine and it'll be DANDY.

Suffice it to say that if you do not move to Georgia, there is a strong chance that I'll never speak to you again.

1 comment:

ruth said...

I look forward to hearing about your escapades in Georgia. I know absolutely nothing about it.

Squat toilets are supposed to be good for your body, and uh, the process. But yes, as I'm considering teaching in China right now, that definitely is not an incentive to go there.

Tell us what you'll be doing in Georgia, when you're going, and all the important stuff!